Comm problem and possible solution(s)

wonderlove

BRTD Member
Aug 25, 2013
In short, the use of specific cue to signal "Battle comm, Order inc" on voice comm while having a cozy and effective gaming experience.
If this has been done/discussed to death before then please ignore the rest of the post.

If I am the only one with these problems then the easy solution is just "Get better!", done :)

PRE CONDITIONS
First, this is not about bad SL/PL, bad orders or anything like that. This is all about audio comm.
I'll first describe the problem, the current audio comm situation with pros and cons and then finally suggestions for possible solution to what I believe is the main root of the problem.

Outfit focus, as this is important for how comm is used (From BRTD web):
"BRTD prides itself on having a friendly atmosphere always with emphasis on teamwork over solo play built around our long standing core of outfit veterans. We play seriously and strive for success but never sacrificing the ' fun' aspect of gaming to be ultra-competetive, its about having a laugh (as you'll find out if you come on our mumble)."

PROBLEM
My main problems with current voice comm is being able to pick up (in order most difficult to easiest)
1) When an order is issued
2) The complete content of that order
3) Who should execute that order
Depending on the situation it can be anyone of these points, combinations or all, but mostly in that order of difficulty.

CURRENT SITUATON
BRTD keep all players in the same comm channel (in effect, overspill channels are linked).

Pro
1) No relay chain (PL to SL to Squad, and reverse) delay.

2) Simple to join and easy to get a good mood going.
Ex:
Most often when I join I will hear laughing at some joke or another, like promises about inserting love into each others girlfriends, mothers, sisters, dogs or, when inspiration hits hard on a late and drunk weekend night, grandfathers.
This all part of the outfit focus, even if it means having to listen to what the fox says when a guild leader has his birthday.

Contra
1) "All in" generates a constant buzz over the comm. This is the real biggie with a One Channel solution and I will just call it "the buzz" from now on.
For me it is all to easy to "tune out" this buzz when I face challenging situations because it requires too much focus to dig out the details versus the focus I need to get the job done on the ground, and then tune in again when I get a pause in the combat.
Now, this can be an issue regardless of comm solution for most and is something I strive to getting better at, same as I practice recoil handling or anything else in the game. But even when I do try my best to listen in on our buzz I end up with the problems as listed.

So let's say The Buzz is the real root problem here and look at some solutions.

SOLUTION #1: Become a veteran
BRTD has the luxury of having many SL and even PL (which is a very good thing).
Several of you have played together for a long time and have a easy time picking out a specific voice as "the master for the day speaks". For me its still mostly groups like Brits and then The Rest(Celts, Americans and Warsaw Pact).
A way to see the effect of "long time exposure" in action is in a hectic situation: I can hear the voice (but not a lot of the details) I believe to be PL in the buzz and then several of the veterans move in the same general direction on the minimap. This is often my main cue for that an order was given. The bad thing is that BRTD then have a dependency on having mostly veterans online to get most guns available going the same way fast enough to make a difference.

SOLUTION #2: STFU aka Mute all
Pro
1) The only thing you will hear is "The Master", and we will bring His Word to the heathens!

Contra
1) It will break outfit focus when it comes to social and maybe fun unless the leader is class A comedian.
2) There will hardly be any info flow from ground on up to leader.
3) Leader will often end up with micromanaging the troops. Oh joy for the leader.

SOLUTION #3: "Milsim"
Pro
1) The only thing you will hear are orders and reports.

Contra
1) Even if we did this in a very strict way we are still so many in the same channel it will still generate more or less the same buzz it was meant to dissolve. You can hear this in BRTD when people do try to keep their game face on and try their best at being useful by reporting in observations in a strict manner. The total sum of voices still create a buzz but now with a more "serious" tone to it.

SOLUTION #4: The use of key words like "Battle comm!"
Pro
1) Easy to agree on flag for "shut up and listen"
2) Usable in "all in" channel so we can keep all its pros

Contra
1) The main problem with key words is that they too drown in the myriad of voices that make up the buzz.
It quite often becomes a sliding halt of dialogue with a fuzzy start and end for any order issued as people try to shut up and end up asking for confirms or continue with reports as soon as they believe the PL to be finished giving his order when he really is not.

SOLUTION #5: Separate squad channel
Pro
1) Comm is just for you and your squad, no external noise.
2) Makes it easier to get squad cohesion. You can see this as small snakes on the minimap versus spread out dots when squads move.

Contra
1) Semi-issues with outfit focus as we are no longer all in on the fun together in the same easy going way as in "all in".
2) The problems with the buzz is moved from each player on to the SL, making it even more stressful to be SL which in turn may reduce available SL at any given time (very bad).
Ex:
SOV used this style, and even when we did keep the shite talk low the squad still generated enough noise in their own channel that the SL had a hard time picking up on the PL as he cannot tune out the squad when listening to PL.

3) Introduces the relay chain which can drive PL/SL/SM nuts in a fast game like PS2.

SOLUTION #6: The use of key sounds
Pro
1) Same easy to agree on flag for "shut up and listen" as with the use of key words.
2) Usable in "all in" channel so we can keep all its pros.
3) Depending on the sound, a (loud) sound effect is very easy to pick out from the buzz to create a pause, and so making it easier to get a clear start to an order.
Ex:
The milsim crowd love their radio squelch, I was thinking more of a loud *Ding! Dong! Ding!* "This is the BBC news..." style for a more, eh, fun sound. Ex: *Ding! Dong! Ding!* (Everyone stfu, 2s silence and then PL starts) "Orders: Alfa, move to B. Bravo, go for NC sundy SOUTH of B. Continue." and then the buzz can continue.

Contra
1) Players need to stfu long enough for PL to complete his order.

So, what do you think?

Reactions: 2 people

dnaRIP

Co-Leader
Staff member
Community Leader
Feb 14, 2012
Excellent post Wonderlove. We have tried many different ways to handle our comms. It all comes down to not being able to satisfy everyone all the time. It is going to be up to each PL to determine the style in which they want to lead and how they want comms setup.