Da-Fort AFK (kinda)

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
Greetings and salutations

This may come of a surprise to many (read: at least some) of you to see me create a thread here. Worry not as it is not a major concern. During the weekend I was playing World of Warships with Purestorm. He created a BRTD group on the EU server. I have a Gneisenau now going up to the Bismark. Oh, I am going off-topic.

During our play-session my computer decided to shut-down. I rebooted and tried to play again. The computer shut-down again. This time I was worried and started smelling something burnt. I opened the case and smelled the smell on the upper part of the desktop. I was worried it would be either the CPU or the motherboard.

Upon doing another reboot a plume of smoke appeared from behind the GPU. Utterly dreadful! The GPU was the most expensive part of the entire build. I remove said GPU and rebooted successfully and let the computer run for 5 minutes.

Thus we are at the RMA process with EVGA. I sent them the Amazon invoice and I am hoping we can get an RMA going. I sent my reply as of creating this thread. It will be some time during shipping if we get this far.

Currently, I am on my old gaming rig. I will not be able to participate on Planetside 2 as this rig has seriously gone downhill. If worst comes to worst I have enough disposable income to purchase another GPU.

bpostal

Veterans
Apr 13, 2012
Well shit! At least it's just the GPU and not the entire damn thing!

Hopefully EVGA gets your shit sorted, in which case we'll see ya back online soon. Until then we'll be thinking of ya

Reactions: Da-Fort

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
RMA request was accepted. I am in the process of packaging. I am wrapping this thing up like my life depends on it. Tomorrow I will see if I can find a sturdy shipping box that can handle the GPU box and additional bubble wrapping. Oh, and see what type of shipment company to contract.

Last edited:

xStarmanx

The Dark Wolf
Sep 16, 2016
UK
This card that blew up was it a complete brand new one or 2nd hand? Because I have ordered a brand new graphics card of Amazon but i'm waiting for it to become back in stock as it is temporarily out of stock which i am not surprised as I have been currently waiting sometime still.

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
This card that blew up was it a complete brand new one or 2nd hand? Because I have ordered a brand new graphics card of Amazon but i'm waiting for it to become back in stock as it is temporarily out of stock which i am not surprised as I have been currently waiting sometime still.

It was new.

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
Card sent. Hoping we will be receiving a replacement back in about a week time.

To be sure I tripple bubble wrapped that thing. Put it into a decent looking box and supported it with paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpostal

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
Card has been received at the RMA facility. According to the first RMA e-mail I have to wait three business days before a replacement gets shipped.

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
Curse these slow updates. The card was sent yesterday. According to the tracker it is going to arrive tomorrow. We shall see about that!

Reactions: IronballsMcGinty

Da-Fort

Veterans
Jun 12, 2012
I received the replacement card yesterday. I did expect a GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BP (previous card) of some sorts but rather received a GTX 1070 SC. According to some sources it is a very small downgrade in terms of raw performance but I get a more power efficient and cooler card. w/e.

At this point in time I would rather the card not combust. So I accepted the RMA as is.
Sorry for the doozy of an ending. Having to go through another 14 days of waiting is not something I was interested.

Here is a link to a comparison website. For some reason it keeps flipping the cards.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3595&gid2=3033&compare=Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 EVGA SC GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB Edition-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti EVGA Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 6GB Edition

TL;DR: I lose an arbitrary 10% performance for 70 watts reduction in power. The rest of the comparison is a draw.

EDIT: I generally do not OC SC cards so I am not going to make up for the performance loss.

Last edited:

welph

Veterans
Jul 31, 2014
You should at least contact them and ask why you were given this card. And mention about this downgrade.