Addition to the Guide: Mumble overlay

StriKe_jk

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
May 25, 2013
Germany
linktr.ee
Hi guys, this is an addition to the Mumble overlay guide we have here: http://www.brtd.net/guides/faq-guides/114-how-to-configuring-the-overlay-in-mumble-guide

As you may noticed (and most of you already know) you have to do these steps to make the overlay work ingame:
In short you need to run both Mumble and Planetside2 as administrator.

How to:
[ul]
[li]Browse to your mumble folder. (Standard installation folder for windows 7 is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mumble[/li]
[li]Rightclick on "Mumble.exe" -> "Properties" navigate to "Compatibility" and mark "Run as Administrator"[/li]
[/ul]
Now Mumble and every shortcut of it will run as administator. A window may popup where you have to choose "yes".

Now let's do the same for Planetside 2.
[ul]
[li]Browse to your Planetside 2. (Standard installation folder for windows 7 and steam is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\PlanetSide 2[/li]
[li]Rightclick on "LaunchPad.exe" ("PlanetSide2.exe" also works but i recommend to use the launchpad) -> "Properties" navigate to "Compatibility" and mark "Run as Administrator"[/li]
[/ul]
Now Planetside2 and every shortcut of it will run as administator. This step works for the non-steam version, the steam version and every shortcut of it including programs like "Razer Game Booster". A window may popup where you have to choose "yes".

Sadly my Windows7 is running in german so can't include nice pictures. It would be nice if they can be add when this will be add to the Mumble overlay guide :)
(Oh and I'm sorry for my horrible english :oops: )

Happy fraggin!

GeekZo

Dec 8, 2012
Are you sure that you HAVE to run PS2 / mumble as the administrator? I’ve have never done that and I’d had not trouble – (though I’m logged in as the administrator) :)
The only tip I’d like to add is that you have to run mumble before starting the ps2 game (not client), otherwise the mumble overlay won’t load. For easy access I use a .bat file to launch mumble and ps2 at the same time… I’ve linked a shortcut to the batch file, named it Planetside 2 and changed the icon to the ps2 icon. Now I only have to run the “fake” planetside 2 shortcut to start playing =)
I might be able to write a pictured guide if needed, though you should be able to help yourself with this one..

Pro tip 2: Enable auto reconnect to last server to save some time when starting mumble.

StriKe_jk

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
May 25, 2013
Germany
linktr.ee
Yes, I tried every combination. PS2 first, Mumble first, admin only @Mumble, admin only @PS2.exe and admin only @ps2loader.exe and for me only the combination of ps2 or loader + mumble @admin works.
Maybe it is because I'm not using the lowest security level? (so you have to actually allow admin mode for your programs) or because I'm using Windows7 ultimate 64bit (latest patch installed)..
Edit: And I'm playing the game on fullscreen :D For some games that does matter alot.

GeekZo

Dec 8, 2012
Seems like you’ve found your reason – I’m not quite sure, but you may be able to “tell” Win defender not to ask for permission to launch ps2/mumble as admin again.
I might get some time to do the “launch both mumble and ps2”pictured guide later today. Should I just post it here? FYI It’ll support running both mumble and ps2 as admin as well :p

StriKe_jk

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
May 25, 2013
Germany
linktr.ee
I'm not sure that you can make a whitelist for the UAC. UAC is probably the main reason why i have to run both as administrator to make it work. (I have it set on highest)

I will test it out later :)