BRTD training vids for ---> PS2.com

Boostoff

You, Me, Closet, 7Min, Heaven, Now..
Oct 7, 2014
Washington, USA
www.BRTD.net
So yeah, back from a slight Hiatus, me working saving the world and everything...

But for reals, I have been on the phone with some SoE and Pro7 guys, BS'ing about PS2 and what they are trying to envision.
Iv'e been an on-agian and off-agian helping out some people there, in my limited ways.

Brollywood (Pete Brolly) emailed me asking if I could get people toghether and do specific things for the Planetside2.com and Planetside2.eu pages such as specific training videos, tutorials, and introduction videos and other machanima.

What say you all? Should I tell him it's a go?

-Boosty

YuriWayfare2

Feb 2, 2013
I'm gonna be the grouch here and say that as a new player, the last thing I want from SoE/Pro7 is more instruction videos. PS2s new player experience is sufficiently terrible that it damn near turned me off the game completely. After getting splattered all across the map for a few rounds I started googling "PS2 tutorial" because I was sure I was missing the button in the main menu somewhere.

The official answer to my query: "No we don't have a tutorial LOL! But have two hours of video for you instead that doesn't explain half the stuff you need to know. Also, **** you."

There's a tutorial on the roadmap. I say let them finish that first, then see about more videos.

(this rant is based on personal frustrations still fresh in mind and should in no way dissuade anyone from working with Boostoff to create cool videos)

Raiche

Dec 4, 2012
Training vids like how to fly, how to drive a tank, which end to stick enemy with (hint its pointy)? or more higher level squad play?

How to not shit your pants when faced with enemy tank zerg?

F

Frymewitheggs

I suggest you go back to SOE Prosebian with this suggestion.

Ask groups like ours to do training for new players. Don't do videos. But have a hands on experience of how to play.

Players can then rate us and their experience and those who join in get a reward in certs.

Rolfsky

Oct 19, 2012
www.facebook.com
If SOE/Pro7 needs help from outfits like us to explain or promote the game we should answer the call, its that simple. As the major TR outfit on the busiest PS2 server in the world it's our responsibility to help the community and the game in general. Besides that it's also good publicity and now that we have Robert Stoneman in our outfit we have a potential for great artistic filming as well.

If they want additional tutorial video's we should help them, although I also think this game doesn't exactly need more tutorial video's.
Let's hear out what they exactly have in mind and see what we can do to help.

Stubek

Nov 23, 2012
I think they should improve customer relations and dealing with hackers. If they need volunteer im sure plenty people would donate some time

DeltaWidow

Community Leader
Aug 25, 2014
West Midlands, England
Ohh Ohh Ohh! Well an idea of a video that can be done is a team play orientated tutorial... Plenty of videos on "how to Fly", "which guns to use" and "how to eat noodles with a cucumber" - But I don't see any tutorials on how to actually dive into the team play side of things. How you can be an effective member of the team, etc

A video explaining how you can do stuff for your empire (in and out of an outfit) which would impact yours and others play for the better

Just an idea

F

fbh

Lesson #2: How to avoid getting warp gated on Indar cause your doing the conga line during monday night... o wait ;)

As Delta says there is a tonne of various videos on line about how to do this or how to do that. The problem is that very few of these videos state how to do that as part of a team or a squad.
I've seen so many on individual aspects of a players game that none focus on what the game is actually about.

We've all seen the videos on Reaver pilots getting huge k/d ratios but doing nothing for the team. Hitting infantry but ignoring the sunderer is like trying to stop a waterfall with more water... IE: it makes no sense.

If such videos are to be done then it should be about watching and adapting to various situational changes in a battle. Knowing when to push the line, the difference in threat assessments that mean the difference between a friendly tank been kept in the fight or just been another piece of useless debris, as well as the basics of keeping on track to target objectives - eyes on the mini map on the other squad members locations as an example.

There is a lot of stuff that can be done to show case team play but the main problem that SOE face is how to promote team play with videos without killing off the individual nature of an fps.
It's a mind set that needs to change and that won't.

It is a good idea but it needs a lot of forethought about what you are trying to show. As Jugg says its all or nothing.

Sharpe

Veterans
Jan 22, 2013
I'm up for making some videos. Videos of the first 2 weeks of training would be good tbh. Explaining the generators and hard points and such. I haven't seen any videos explaining things like that.

Sharpe

YuriWayfare2

Feb 2, 2013
[quote="DeltaWidow" post=13372]Plenty of videos on [...] "how to eat noodles with a cucumber"[/quote]

You actually made me Google. This does not exist yet. Someone has some work to do on Youtube!

DeltaWidow

Community Leader
Aug 25, 2014
West Midlands, England
[quote="YuriWayfare2" post=13402][quote="DeltaWidow" post=13372]Plenty of videos on [...] "how to eat noodles with a cucumber"[/quote]

You actually made me Google. This does not exist yet. Someone has some work to do on Youtube![/quote]

In my head when writing that up was someone holding two cucumbers like chopsticks and eating with 'em

Feradomurus

Oct 31, 2012
[quote="YuriWayfare2" post=13437]We'll either need a very large hand or two very small cucumbers.[/quote]

I'll have you know right away that my cucumber is quite sizeable. If you know what I mean.