I Need The Best Prowler Drivers!!!

S

Snap

Hey guys if you are a great prowler driver please post below and let me know. I am looking for someone who will be able to pass on some tips about the prowler for a specialized training. I need a good tactical player who will be willing to host the practice. Also I need good drivers to pair up with those wanting to learn more. This practice date will be announced later, but is anticiapted to happen next week.

Huller

Certified walrus
Veterans
Nov 6, 2012
while I am not exactly an expert on prowler driving, I can say one or two things but I'm not fit to lead a training. I will attend the training and recomend we do some long distance shelling training before we move out into a live zone, bring repair and ammo sundy busses. Oh, and deploy mode is prety much useless.

Audiofly

BRTD Member
Aug 31, 2014
steve , frankies , jeff. if they cant teach you prowlers, then prowlers are not worth having.

Audiofly

BRTD Member
Aug 31, 2014
Infct we have quite a few outstanding drivers.from jugg and steve, right through to me at the bottom. We all by now what set up to use. But they kinda differ.

Ill only run heat,side armour when rushing. Ill run heat /front armour when defending. And only see anchor mode usful as an ambush tank. To be a full on seige tank is asking to be rocket podded.

Mythx

Sep 26, 2012
Whats a Prowler? :D

No no I do drive them but before I upgraded my PC i felt VERY slugish in a prowler and it kinda put me off, After upgrading it is alot better but havent certed into prowler much, waiting for mags to get deleted first cause lets be honest 99% of us use HE 99% of the time. rather have 2 anti-tank mines for a hostile armor than a tank - just me.

BUT WILL BE THERE CAUSE IM ANNOYING AND HAVE TO BE THERE FOR EVERYTING!

F

fbh

I wanted to do up a Prowler but every time I get into a vehicle, Prowler/lightning, it feels like I have 10fps and laggy mouse response as well.

Probably a sign. :whistle:

Raiche

Dec 4, 2012
Coming as a tanker from Battlefield series for the past 5-6 years i can only relay my tactics on my thinking coming from there. Basic things that are obvious if you think about them but in a big setting like this where a lone tank cant lock down an entire area its down to teamwork and numbers as well.

Doesn't help if your in a excellent position and can hammer away when there is 20 mags coming down on you. However you can be bait and lure them into a kill zone or try to hold them off long enough for air support to get them or try to lure them into following you into a ambush or try and pick them off one at a time using the terrain.

Prowler and lightning differ a bit in playstyle, where as you can use lightning to circle around in the terrain and hit them in the rear armor easily your more bogged down in a prowler.

Know the terrain, use the terrain, keep in cover preferably with something overhead and keep moving unless your in a supreme spot, always have a retreat option planned if you take damage, where do you drive to safely repair.
If you haven't been spotted, let him pass and shoot him in the rear, always go for the biggest possible first hit. Little things you know, but in a game like this i think its more down to having the right composition of the group, you need Air support, you need AA you need heavy hitters etc.

And above all else: Teamwork, pick target at destroy it by focusing fire/fireteams. Nothing spreads fear and confusion like one target after the other instantly go up in flames, they cant easily tell where they are hit from if the guy can't see the hit indicators before his respawn screen. VS magriders you can see the trail of their cannon and more easily trace it back.

One thing id like to add vs armor: height advantage, if you can park somewhere high or down the slope they might not be able to fire high enough to get a shot back at you.

Counter this if your the one trapped: Use the slopes, any slope up from the road for instance and your in a / position allowing you to aim higher. Also useful against air.

If all else fails, pull back, let them come to you. Back into a nice little hiding place and let them roll into the slaughter.

The other night i was in a column that got bogged down in a valley, surrounded by VS on all sides we should have backed up and let them roll into our kill zone instead but it was a greenies zerg so instead it was try and take them all down with you.

Also: Ramming, flashes, run them over, sunderers, tanks etc when locked in a fight full speed ahead and ram them, if lucky you can make them tilt making them unable to target you and you get to safely blast into their soft underbelly. Again use the terrain, ram them off a cliff for instance.

In the open especially 1v1, keep moving, drive erratically, sudden stops, reverse, turns matter.
Always keep your strongest armor front towards enemy if possible, strafing mag's got a huge advantage there as they always point forward.
Never expose your rear, its soft squishy and it will get rammed hard if you let them.

Reactions: 1 person

Mythx

Sep 26, 2012
I think that was a Sign from Raiche :D

Really good pointers here thanks for the input mate.

Salgueiro

Nov 8, 2012
Hi, I would certainly not decorate myself with a title like best prowler driver, but I drive them often and enjoy them and think they are awesome. Magriders are good but they also have disadvantages.

I use top armor and love it. normaly i drive my prowler over a ridge or into a ditch, so i m normaly getting hit front or top.
also being a dedicated engineer helps alot with the extremely fast repairs.

RageOnRabies

D

Dotz0r

I don't mind at all, stand by for wall of text incoming. - Ill give you time to dig a foxhole.

D

Dotz0r

Figure 1.

The benefit of Height over ground.

A tank on the high ground has many benefits, but also drawbacks. Over range height is your friend, as being able to hit targets afar without elevating the barrel keeps you in a safer zone. Thus giving that room for error in your ranging bursts with plenty of room to elevate and even hit further afield. Height also gives you a natural perspective- bound cover as the enemy has to fully elevate and adjust accordingly with not alot of room for error. With enemies encroaching on your position they are not doing themselves a favor as once they get under you - they cannot ht you. However, the same for you. But then again, staying out in the open trying to hit you also benefits you.

This poorly drawn diagram will hopefully help me illustrate my point.

Fig1.png

On the ground, over range you have to elevate, and with elevation comes many problems, in-air flight time of the round being one. As the projectile flies through the air it obviously takes time. where as aiming dead on will travel faster. Straight lines and everything. Basically by the time the round has hit the ground, the target has moved considerably. Thats the trade off - Do you go high and try to act like artillery and land a few shots, or do you level out and go toe - to toe?. But why damage oneself if you choose the frontal option?.

Well, planetside 2 is made up of many varying degrees of cover - from rocks to tank debris or a friendly unit. However there are many things which could be considered "thinking out of the box". Mindset for this scenario being "Oh crap there is a bigger force and i need to do as much damage but keep alive long enough to do so."

Cover is a magnificent thing, but most prowler drivers seem to just get stuck in and take on the whole world not taking into account even though you see one enemy tank - there could be hundreds watching you. Even though you may catch one with his pants down - you are basically saying HIT ME HIT ME.

The following diagrams will illustrate, a few RL ways to hold firm and hold ground without exposing too much of your self.

Figure2A.png

This diagram shows the Turret up postion. This is basically all the turret showing. A smaller hitbox then a full showing vehicle but more then below. (See diagram below) However this allows the main armament to be brought to bare against the enemy.

Figure2B.png

The second, shows the secondary turret in a periscope-like position. For secondary weapons like the GMG, the grenade arc of fire can be used in relative safety to hit over the cover and into the enemys location. This also allows the secondary gunner and commander (in third person) to get a grip of the surrounding area and plan his actions carefully. Not to mention getting a few damaging hits onto the enemy whilst doing so.

Here is a better diagram i found.

Figure2C.png

Note - the hull is down creating a smaller hitbox for the enemy. If in this position and the enemy gets too close for comfort, or oblivious all together the below diagram will illustrate what can be done for an ambush / fight on your terms.

Figure3.png

As you can see by the badly drawn drawing, jockeying back and forth is key. Why stay in sight whilst the tank reloads? why let him get a few cheap shots in? This ain't a "you hit me i hit you mmo-take it in turn like gentlemen game" This is kill or be killed or respawn and waste resources! - There's a war on y'know!.

Basically it also allows the engineer to reverse, also dragging your unknowing enemy around to say, perhaps into a landmine? (it appears certain members of brtd now lust for mines, even placing them under friendlies to - "make them better") or maybe even another prowler or a friendly sunder bus just minding its own business rocking back and forth because its bugged to hell.

And to finally, moving and closing with and giving the enemy a good shoeing. The scenario and mindset for this is that there is OPEN land to cover. The enemy may / may not have the high ground but hes in cover and giving you the good news constantly. Its time to get a grip and move forward before you loose your tank and have to foot zerg it for the next 10 minutes because you have not certed your cool-down timer. Its open ground and who knows what fiends lay ahead as you cross no mans land to almost certain doom. Or a landmine. Or a flip educing friendly vehicle. Stopping and planting roots and letting the enemy get a good lay-on of your tank is a big no no. For one he knows his POA (Point of aim) but as hes being a crafty bugger he is jockeying. So you need constantly adjusting.

So, there is an open field, a fiend on the hill and your elevation isn't quite there. You need to move whilst giving damage to the enemy or you will quickly be fired upon by every known being using the common sense of "Oh, hes still - im poo at this so ill just shoot this guy" Next thing you know your in shitstate. Fireing 2 rounds, which for that short duration before you move off will almost be inaccurate - your still letting the enemy know that your coming for him, thus making him aim all over the place to get his POA back on track. Over time, with closing the distance you will be able to give him the good news personally. Face to face. Even though you will be damaged and most probably about to die - you have done three things.

1.) Teached this fiend a lesson.
2.)Taken ground
3.)Allowed friendly units to move forward. Thus preventing a turkey shoot.

The following diagram will explain.

Figure4.png

Reactions: 1 person

Igster

Nov 17, 2012
If you guys ever want a hand with anything... just holler. :)

Available for target practise if you want. :p