The Metagame is coming

SteveTR

Veterans
Oct 17, 2012
Will be quite nice if they do it like this, can see us mass gal dropping in behind enemy lines to do some gen dropping :D

jo3

Veterans
Jul 31, 2014
I think this would be great i can't wait for it :)

Stubek

Nov 23, 2012
Now i will again be only nay sayer . This is gonna turn into zerg fest with no or little use for small precise squads. Its still not drastic as it would be with only one direction of assault but channeling smaller groups into zergs is counterproductive. You cant dance around big blob with 12 good and fast people because you will constantly get rolled over by bunch of muppets /facepalm

F

fbh

Forcing players to go down specified point on the map in order to move on won't be as you imagine it to be.
It will have many players attacking and defending 1 focused point sure, but on the flip side it's only IF a hostile squad decides to act as harassers in the 'off sections'.

As I described before imagine them as supply lines. Doesn't mean you have to follow A to B to get there. Still cut off half the map going where you want to go. But imagine the idea of an harassment squad, simply designed to intercept reinforcements from behind the lines and cause issues.
Slowing down reinforcements. cutting off the means of attack from the rear (sunderers etc)

If you can distract a group of hostile's long enough for them to give chase that in turn slows down the fight.

What it is doing is encouraging proper fighting where it's meant to be and focusing like a battle line and not some zig zaggy child's drawing that half the time it turns into right now.
It also does not mean your likely to be channelled down a set path to get to your next objective. It is only showing the link to the next point... you can still hit it from what ever angle you want.

Can even hit it from the hostile side of the battle-line, creating a fighting front of both sides of your own line. Denying reinforcements as well as weakening the objective.

Lot of potential ideas. :)

Reactions: 1 person

Cheers

Nov 9, 2012
Now i will again be only nay sayer . This is gonna turn into zerg fest with no or little use for small precise squads. Its still not drastic as it would be with only one direction of assault but channelling smaller groups into zergs is counterproductive. You cant dance around big blob with 12 good and fast people because you will constantly get rolled over by bunch of muppets /facepalm

I’m going to disagree with you here. The way I see it, small squads will be far more likely to be able to contribute.

A hypothetical situation: you see on your map a base is falling and is in fact clearly lost (the new information on SCU and gen conditions allows this). The base has exactly 3 minutes until it is capped (the new timer system gives an accurate time). You can also see that this base leads to only one other outpost.
These simple things, which are now far more accessible, give you crucial information. You know where the enemy is, where they are going, when they are going there and with how many they are (perhaps relative, but I allows you to avoid massive overpowering numbers).
Timing ambushes become incredibly easy! Before, there was no way to set up a useful defense let alone an ambush because there were so many possible points to attack. At any given time, at least half a dozen areas were under contention and even more were vulnerable to enemy attacks. With a more limited number of battlefields, you can actually use squad based tactic to influence these larger battles.
Back to our hypothetical example, with all this knowledge you could for example; take a squad and start mining the access road, setup a heavy-assault ambush, prepare a bombing run on the approaching tank column, put up your prowlers overlooking a likely access point.
Even when the fight is going on; you could setup an AA site between the battle and the most likely approach of aircraft, intercept enemy tanks, (intercepting sundies is more difficult due to the larger amount of possible spawn locations).
Each and every one of them can easily be executed by a single squad. And they are only possible because there are fewer battlefields, more information and more predictable routes. As a defender there were just too many potential places to protect and the attacker could switch targets far too easily.

Yes, taking bases is more difficult with a single squad but that’s it. That is the only thing that becomes more difficult now, while it adds so much more. To say that squads (or small outfits) are now useless is an incredible disservice to a game that has so much potential for actual tactics.

J

Jamriko

So it's turning every major base into what the Crown is now, basically? Personally, I can't wait for all the strategic and tactical skill that this system will bring and encourage unto the playerbase. Aha...

Forgive my sarcasm, but until I see this system in action, I can't see the point.

Cheers

Nov 9, 2012
So it's turning every major base into what the Crown is now, basically?
I don't think so; the crown is somewhat of an exception to the rules. It is incredibly easy to defend due to its geography and lay-out, (Very few points to defend, close to each other, enemy has a single approach route (ignoring the cliff path in the back, etc…) which is why there are no breakthroughs. Very few other bases suffer this problem and do so far less severe, other bases eventually fall under consistent pressure.

Whereas major bases have satellite towers nearby, multiple hard spawns, many objectives, etc… forcing the defender to react rather than just bunker down.