Well this sucks...

EddiesMinion

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
Jan 20, 2013
Bristol, UK
I'd just decided to get back into the swing of things... Switched on the PC, oh updates!

Yeah, hangs at 35%, left it for 6 hours, still hanging... Reset, windows is fucked. Yay!

Fresh install of windows, same thing happens... So I'll be away until i can work out what's actually broken... Might be time for a new machine I guess...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bpostal

Veterans
Apr 13, 2012
Probably just an update that your OS choked on. If you've got Windows 10, there's been more than a few posts about the Anniversary update fucking people's shit up. I think if you boot into safe mode with networking you should be able to check the status of the windows updates. Check out number 4 here (note: Number 5 doesn't work anymore unless you have Windows 10 Enterprise).

My suggestion for handling windows updates in Windows 10 is to do everything via Powershell. The guide I use can be found here. That being said, once they cut GPOs out of Win10Pro, I switched over to a dual boot Ubuntu/Windows setup.

TLDR: Try to see if you can roll back the failed windows update from Safe Mode (with Networking) and/or run Microsoft's Windows Update troubleshooter.

Best of luck Eddies! xoxo!

EddiesMinion

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
Jan 20, 2013
Bristol, UK
Sounds like fun!! I wonder what 12 months of updates will do to my PC by the time I get back :s
You won't be able to afford electricity if you keep paying 300 euro for cheap auto parts [emoji14]

It was Office, of all things, that was screwing the updates up... Thanks Oba...I mean Bill Gates!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Merdocc

Well-Known Miner
Jul 5, 2015
Betelgeuse
You won't be able to afford electricity if you keep paying 300 euro for cheap auto parts [emoji14]

Yep learnt the hard way! Bastards! We have had to have a few minor garage moments which have usually - gone €40 please... Danke, Tak, Merci etc. But this time it was more like 'you're shitting me!' And almost grabbing the dude and pulling him over the counter. Insert many expletives!!!