Gaming system

xchocyx

Oct 14, 2012
Hey guys! I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment! I've been away from the pc gaming scene for quite a while and I haven't got a clue what a good spec for planetside 2 would be! Could you guys give me an idea of what I should be looking for... graphics card, ram and what not... The help will be much appreciated!
Cheers!

GoldenKaos

Oct 7, 2012
Wired2Fire.co.uk's Hellspawn Ultima

This is essentially what I'm rocking.

Tweak it a bit to get extra performance and space and whatnot, and you can get a PC that is basically capable of running anything that's out atm. Mine cost me £850 with a monitor, + another £30 for shipping. This was without Microsoft Office or antivirus or anything.

I'm assuming you're in the UK when I post this, I doubt if they do international.

Oh and allow 5-15 days for them to build it test it and ship it. Mine came within a fortnight.

Zunk

Veterans
Oct 2, 2012
I too recently upgraded my PC (specifically to play PS2 of course!).

Went for:
X79 MOBO
i7 820 chip
16g RAM
nVidia 670 GPU

I'd say with hindsight it would be reaonable to stick to the previous generation of chip - Z77 mobo + i7 2600 and a 660 card. That should come to around £800 and be able to run PS2 very well. B)

Reactions: 1 person

xchocyx

Oct 14, 2012
Lovely stuff guys! Appreciate the help! Going to get shopping around and hopefully have my machine up and running by the end of the month!

xchocyx

Oct 14, 2012
Step! How you doing brother! Great to see your still around! Who else is still playing? Ill be seeing you in game soon mate! ill be on the xbox until then :p

OneStepAhead

BRTD Member
Aug 13, 2014
Nah fraid not im long gone mate, way too much on in life for online gaming...even if i had the time i certainly wouldnt be putting it into PS2. Wish ud have showed ur face on ps before we were right there till the end!

Not trying to put u off getting it tho, good luck..but make sure u get a decent pc its a rapist on older systems.

xchocyx

Oct 14, 2012
Aw thats a shame bro! yeah im looking to get a decent computer this time round! I wish I came back to ps for the last days but it didnt even cross my mind!
PS2 looks sick from what ive seen on youtube though man! Just want to get on it and give it a go, wont have as much time as i did back in the day, but should still be fun... as long as the little one allows me to play it without distraction lol.

NastyPasty

Sep 30, 2012
Cornwall, UK
What setting to you run PS2 on and what FPS do you get in large/hugh battles?

[quote="Zunk" post=3664]I too recently upgraded my PC (specifically to play PS2 of course!).
Went for:
X79 MOBO
i7 820 chip
16g RAM
nVidia 670 GPU
I'd say with hindsight it would be reaonable to stick to the previous generation of chip - Z77 mobo + i7 2600 and a 660 card. That should come to around £800 and be able to run PS2 very well. B)[/quote]

Juggernaut

Interwebs Mechanic
Staff member
Administrator
Recruit
Jul 20, 2006
Ireland, Galway
shanecunningham.me
hi folks, here is the pc list. for £800 ish pc.
there was some sacrifices i had to drop the ssd. which is £90-120.
here is the picture of the shopping list. i can post the links in the morning if needed.

chocy%20pc.JPG

Click on the image to enlarge

This setup is heavily focused on gaming(Great for everything else), you could spend more on a cpu but not get more fps. this should last and be easily upgradable in the years to come.
The ram is awards winning and is relatively cheap compared to other ram

I'm might tweak it in the morning.

xchocyx

Oct 14, 2012
Cheers jug mate! That helps a lot! Currently talking to a friend of mine that works in a computer shop and can get discounted hardware and what not! so hopefully I can improve on that list and still meet my budget! :D

A

Arucard

A great website depending where your from for getting the best prices for the parts for your PC is this www.pcpartpicker.com

Kur

Aug 26, 2014
I was wondering if I could ask a similar question, I have the option to get this computer and was wondering whether it would be any good.

Intel Core i73770 Quad Core Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
2TB (2000GB) Hard Drive
HP 23-inch Full HD Monitor
2 pairs of 3D glasses
AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz 2GB graphics
Blu-ray disc player
DVD+R/RW Rewriter
Wireless LAN
Beats Audio
Hi-Def Audio 7.1

jocool

Sep 24, 2012
@Kuran,

The HD7770 is going to bottleneck that system heavily. While AMD does build decent cards (even when not for Planetside 2 due to SOE directly cooperating with NVIDIA) , this Radeon is very low budget and old and does not fit to the 3770 at all.

Do you want to use the 3D glasses for gaming too, or just for movies? The price of that system would also be interesting to get an idea if it was worth it.

Furthermore, if you want to buy PC hardware and you are from the UK, you might want to think about buying stuff at a German exporter in Euros like www.mindfactory.de, as that can save you loads of money you could invest in an even better GPU, depending on what you want to buy. All the manuals delivered are in English or multilingual anyway. The course is € 1 = GBP 0.8133 today.

The system Juggernaut showed is quite good. I recommend you watch out for a GTX670 reference card in sales, I got a GTX670 from Club 3D in the reference design for € 333 which are just GBP 269 !!! I put an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II (€ 30) on it and overclocked it, so now I have a card that is as fast as an ASUS GTX670 TOP with a better (more silent too) cooler including voltage cooler and ram cooling for one-hundred less.

Kur

Aug 26, 2014
The system is from my mom's company, they offer computers that are paid off from her wages every month. Is it th e card that is only the problem? If it is I could always upgrade it, I've done that in the past so I'm ok with, but building an entire system is a little beyond me.