[Project] Newsletter

Pajszer

BRTD Member
Jan 16, 2013
Switzerland
I think there is a potential that we can revive/rehabilitate lost/afk/derailed members, by issueing [strike]monthly[/strike] professional newsletters. As I can see there are 2k+ forum members/email addresses, so even 2% of those would make almost a platoon... :)
The content have to energize and make the readers curious and wanting to come back to play with BRTD. Make them feel what they are loosing not playing with us. I think the first one should go a bit further back, so it should sum up the last 6-8 month major events.

1. We need a team or couple of ppl, that can make it regularly happen. Who's got experience with newsletters, content creation, photoshop (and the precious time) that can help us?
2. Define the layout, style, frequency...
3. Help the team with content suggestions. Brainstorm.

Links:

Create newsletters like www.paper.li

Reactions: 2 people

Stryke

Fleet Commander
Veterans
Mar 4, 2013
Edge and I seem to be getting into making movies that might be something we could put in

Reactions: 1 person

EddiesMinion

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
Jan 20, 2013
Bristol, UK
Yeah I'm already volunteered...Juggernaut has mentioned the same in the past - I think he wants to move to new site software first though (I may be wrong), but that doesn't stop the content actually being produced first.

I'm happy to write, edit and/or proofread...be it a blow-by-blow account of an amazing op or a fan fiction featuring Sharpe and Collin :)

Pajszer

BRTD Member
Jan 16, 2013
Switzerland
Brainstorm:

- OMFG & 64bit client (end 2013)
- Soe all access & new premium option (double xp weekends...) + Player studio updates
- New Lib (March) & ESF guns (Jan)
- Infil (Febr) & Medic update (May)
- Amerish revamp (Febr)
- Competitive part: Commclash, Pickup, Serversmash...
- Outfit events: dedicated airwing, MNM videos, new SL, PL promotions, new member joined...
- Edgewalker's, AmnzeroUK BRTD video, Miketango video, landing page

Rolfsky

Oct 19, 2012
www.facebook.com
My general suggestion would be to not reinvent the wheel too much. The general goal of the newsletter is to stay in touch with BRTD members that aren't playing or visiting the forums frequently and provide them a short overview on what they have been missing lately.
This means we can easily tab on content that's already out there in the forums and other sources and stick to providing links with short descriptions/summaries. As Pajszer said, for a first time we can go back a bit longer but after that it's mostly a 1 or 3 month cycle, depending on the newsletter frequency.

My suggestion for a format:
[ol]
[li]Game related news[/li]
[li]Community related news[/li]
[li]BRTD related news[/li]
[li]Various unrelated news[/li]
[/ol]
1. Game related news: This is stuff around PS2 itself.
[ol]
[li]Summary of most important changes from the last patches[/li]
[li]Nifty tips and guides from our forums and other sources (like an implant guide for instance)[/li]
[li]Developer/SOE related stuff[/li]
[li]Upcoming changes to the game (roadmap related stuff like Hossin/continent locking)[/li]
[/ol]
[ul]
[li]Waterson-Mattherson merge upcoming (If you're not from Waterson, you don't water, son.): http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/27i39r/twitter_j_smedley_looking_good_for_a_waterson/[/li]
[li]Tank (turret stabilization!) and Liberator (big nerf) changes upcoming: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/upcoming-tank-and-liberator-changes.189062/[/li]
[li]New continent locking, Warpgate rotating and Alert rules! A locked continent triggers a Warpgate rotation and is now unplayable until another continent gets locked. During off-hours multiple continents can be locked and Alerts are only triggered by players now: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/june-continent-locking.189065/
[/li]
[/ul]

2. Community related news: What's going on around the game.
[ol]
[li]Competitive scene and other community events (CC, PAL, Ps2Pickup/ServerSmash)[/li]
[li]Remarkable contributions from the community (PSU, reddit, Youtube, SOE forums): Like this video for instance or the Recursion overlay ("double kill!").[/li]
[li]"Channel (Youtube/Twitch/podcast) of the month".[/li]
[li]Agenda, upcomming community stuff.[/li]
[/ol]

3. BRTD related news: Everything around our members and community
[ol]
[li]BRTD in the news, external BRTD coverage.[/li]
[li]Player profile, a 'member of the month" interview.[/li]
[li]From our members: Remarkable forum posts, Mumble quotes, "BRTD moments", YouTubes and other contributions (like our awesome new landing page)[/li]
[li]BRTD events and agenda: AAR's, upcoming trainings and matches.[/li]
[li]Official announcements: New members, promotions, cert requirements, new Mumble version, new host, etc.[/li]
[/ol]

4. Various unrelated news: This is mainly stuff picked by our editors that doesn't fall into the categories above.
[ol]
[li]Editor column[/li]
[li]News about other games popular within BRTD, like Star Citizen or DayZ[/li]
[li]Funny news, pics and Youtubes[/li]
[li]Etc.[/li]
[/ol]

Btw I'm not suggesting that every newsletter necessarily needs to cover all these (sub-)categories, nor that we should stick to only these ones. It's just a rough guidance for stuff we can think off to put in.

It might be a handy idea to create a newsletter sticky topic in the public forum, where everybody can dump their content links in for editors to choose from. We also need to think about tools that let us easily create newsletters like www.paper.li

Rolfsky

Oct 19, 2012
www.facebook.com
Cool, I'll re-edit news links I come across into my format comment until there's enough for the editors to make a newsletter and I will then delete them and start over once the news letter comes out.

SaintSugary

Veterans
Oct 29, 2012
So the main purpose is to attract people to come back and play with BRTD right?

What is the reason they are not playing with us (in squad/mumble)?

A] they are bored playing PS2?
B] they like playing in smaller squads or they like to go solo?

So if the answer to A-question is yes, the newsletter full of PS2-related information will just make them NOT to read that at all but they might want to play some other game that other BRTD members are currently playing

If the answer to B-question is yes, they might be interested to try something that some other BRTD-member already tried and made a video about it. (for example, Hiddendarks sniper video that started a discussion on mumble last night or Jeffs infil-video about a week ago that made many members to start certing their infil-class..me included :D )

This is my hypothesis:

A lot of members have already played this game for a loooooong time. PS2-related news are interesting but only if it is something major. BRTD is a fun group to play with and for me that is the reason why I come back again and again. I want to hear what other BRTD members are doing and what they are playing. We want BRTD members to play PS2 with us but if they are bored to play that the next best thing is to play some other game with us.

SO.....

1. Whats happening with BRTD: Gameplay videos, player of the year and camo-voting type of "events", trainings, BRTD-meeting (when????) etc.

2. PS2 news/happenings: Game related news, events (server smash), roadmaps etc.

3. Other games/events: Game of the month-vote? Games that a lot of us are currently playing (we should have a chosen person who is running stuff in each game for BRTD?),

EddiesMinion

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
Jan 20, 2013
Bristol, UK
Agreed, we would never have put all that information in...it would be information overload and horrible to read...three or four topics makes it easier to digest (and to write!).

I think our aim is simply to get more people into the reaper at prime time...we have a high percentage of our membership that's active, but we seldom run more than two squads. To that end, if anyone has gameplay video of the reaper doing something awesome, we should definitely use it. Same goes for the air wing. Balance that with some silly stuff (WanderingIgor's duck shoot MNM) and we may be onto a winner.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Sharpe

Veterans
Jan 22, 2013
Re:Re: [Project] Newsletter

[quote="Pajszer" post=33470]Very constructive inputs, I would also welcome some guidance from outfit leaders![/quote]i started a newsletter ages ago but it got derailed for some reason..... Cant remember now. However, i will post the newsletter here when i get home so you can see the layout/wording of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

EddiesMinion

Recruitment Officer
Veterans
Jan 20, 2013
Bristol, UK
Re:Re: Re:Re: [Project] Newsletter

[quote="Sharpe" post=33474][quote="Pajszer" post=33470]Very constructive inputs, I would also welcome some guidance from outfit leaders![/quote]i started a newsletter ages ago but it got derailed for some reason..... Cant remember now. However, i will post the newsletter here when i get home so you can see the layout/wording of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk[/quote]

Was probably a treatise on kill whoring in Welsh ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Pajszer

BRTD Member
Jan 16, 2013
Switzerland
What do you think about including a link to a survey which would contains questions why ppl not playing anymore?