What computer mouse do you use?

phantium

Jan 12, 2013
Hey guys,

I am curious to see what everyone uses.
Yesterday I found out that my new mice from Razer really aren't working for me with FPS games.

I have the Razer Taipan and Razer Naga but they do not feel right, especially the Taipan which is a fingertip grip.

I will try my Logitech G9x again tonight, because it's more comfortable for me personally.
It is also a "palm grip" type of mouse, which is the only mouse I can deal with for FPS it seems...

To illustrate the types of mice (source: http://ravennestgames.blogspot.com/2012/03/mouse-grips-and-which-mouse-suits-you.html):

palmgrip.jpg

1. The Palm Grip - This is the most common method an individual uses a computer mouse. It involves the user placing his entire hand onto the top of the mouse, resting his palm and the pit of his hand on the rear of the mouse. The mouse is held and controlled by the user pinching his hand together to hold the mouse between his thumb, the heel of his palm and his ring or pinkie fingers. The index and middle fingers are usually placed fully on the left and right mouse buttons respectively.

A slight variation of the palm grip style is where the pinkie finger is used as the right side stabilizer to hold the mouse, with the index, middle and ring fingers placed on the left button, scroll wheel and right button respectively.

The palm grip is defined by the fact that the entire surface of the user’s fingers and palm make contact with the surface of the mouse and the contact points on the mouse are large and undefined.

clawgrip.jpg

2. The Claw Grip - The claw grip is another style of holding a mouse that requires the user to arch his/her hand and form a claw shape, pulling the mouse in so the rear end of the mouse is stabilized by barely touching the pit of the user’s hand.

The claw grip is characterized by the arching fingers required to hold the mouse and press each mouse button. The formation of the user’s fingers and the retracted stance of the hand over the mouse make this grip vaguely resemble the claw of a bird, which is where the style draws its moniker. The mouse is held and controlled by the tips of the user’s index and ring or pinkie fingers and stabilized by the pit of the user’s hand so the mouse does not sway when it is lifted.

The main difference between the claw grip and the palm grip is that in the claw grip, only the fingertips and the pit of the palm come into contact with the mouse whereas in the palm grip, the entire length of the fingers and the whole palm rests on the mouse surface.

fingergrip.jpg

3. The Fingertip Grip - The fingertip grip is considered to be a subset of the claw grip, where the user grips the mouse solely with the tips of his/her fingers. While this grip style strictly speaking falls within the claw grip subset, it is a popular grip, particularly amongst proponents of certain genres of games, thus elevating it to the status of a primary grip style for gameplay. Unlike the conventional claw grip, the base of the palm is moved away from the rear of the mouse as the user is not concerned with stabilizing the rear of the mouse in his hand and wants increased precision and control of the mouse on the mousing surface instead.

Which do you use? :)
p.s. I rehosted the images on my own site/server, so no worries about bandwidth leeching!

Cheers,
Phantium

F

fbh

I use a G9x mouse myself because I use the claw grip.
Before the G9x I had a G5 which was pretty good but found couldn't get comfy for longer periods.

I have quite small hands anyhow for my size and G9x fits in nicely.

Problem is that many players see information like this as "elitist" talk that is only done by those who are pro or players that want to be pro.
Been comfortable with your own set-up and behind your desk is not only a good thing for your gaming but also for your health.
If you had to walk 2 miles each day hunched over you'd be in pain - so why sit, or move, in uncomfortable positions when spending hours behind a desk? :)

I also spend lot of time behind desk cause of my job too. And as everyone's desk set-up is unique it pays to have spent time making sure your not having to stretch, or groan, or moan about aches and pains when getting up off the chair ;)

phantium

Jan 12, 2013
You're exactly right, it is definitely not "elitist" talk. It is very important that you are comfortable.
Hell I can't even aim on someones face in time with the mouse I had been using.

So even if you have a different hand size, you'll hold the mouse differently.
I have pretty big hands and for me the G9x is more of a palm grip the way I would use it.

Same goes with mice, if it's not comfortable (as I noticed with FPS after only 2 days or so) then you should try something else. :)
Luckily I always have a lot of gear laying around so I can easily try another :)

chair.jpg

E.g. I have a very cool looking racing desk chair, but I have it only because is it the most comfortable ever.
You can only sit straight on it and I never have back problems with that chair.
< My chair

J

J3st3r

I use a Razer Imperator 2012 and use the The Palm Grip method.

EvilFree

Dec 17, 2012
Im using the Logitech G400 Mouse, coupled with a Logitech G510 Keyboard.

Using the normal Palm Grip and using a Wrist Rest on the keyboard. Having a large mousemat also helps.

Very comfy, which is the main thing when playing games.

If your spending 500+ on a rig you may as well spend an extra 100-150 getting the perfect mouse and keyboard, since that is your input device that you use all the time!

Tasty

Jan 2, 2013
Used claw grip a little bit when I started playing CS since I was young and people told me it was better. Found it to be uncomfortable though and eventually as I grew up and my hands got bigger I just automatically changed to fingertip, fits my hands better.

As for mouse, right now I do not really have an fps mouse, still using my Naga since the WoW days, at least I get some use out of the 12 side buttons. :p

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/40/razer-naga-molten.png

Pimpin'

D

Dotz0r

Razer deathadder and cyborg R.A.T 9 mouse's are the two i use quite often. With a different grip for both, palm for the razer and a wide-finger palm for the R.A.T

The rat being more customizable, the adding and taking away of weights - which suits those who want a light/heavy mouse - also has detachments and attachements to suit the user, for example i added the thumb rest - which then can be moved closer or away from the mouse. I tend to use different styles of grip depending on game and the rat 9 seriously cost effective. Also to having a scroll wheel - it also has a side scroll wheel - useful for games when u have to cycle through options.

Both mouses have a really high DPI setting, but the cyborg rat 9 comes with more customization configuration software.

YamiNoTenshi

Nov 24, 2012
I'm using the fingertip grip when I'm playing FPS and sometimes switch to palm grip if I'm doing something else.
I use a Logitech G400 mouse and Qpad MK-85 mechanical keyboard.

SaintSugary

Veterans
Oct 29, 2012
I'm more like palm grip-person myself but I notice that with my current mouse I tend to use claw grip when there is a lot of action going on. Using Steelseries Sensei and I love how much Steelseries engine software lets me to tweak settings but the grip isn't for me. Currently looking for G400 because I loved my old mx518 but there is something that bothers me with that grip too.

G9x I tried couple times but didn't like that grip at all, currently that mouse is just collecting dust on my desk.
Still going to change this Sensei and I've been looking for this: QPAD 5K LE now. I've been testing that grip couple times and seems that it's a perfect match for my hand :D Only thing is the price...cheapest was 99 euros. And for me that is a bit too much.

Also trying to find a silent mechanical keyboard. Using Logitech Illuminated atm but you can press like 3 buttons at the same time and after that it starts to jam and doing something weird.

For silent mechanical keyboards I've been currently watching these:

QuietPro

Logitech G710+

Nice looking keyboards but that price... :blink: ~140 €...

Canaris

Jul 31, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I use the logitech g500 mouse, had no complaints about it other than the 3 side buttons are a little small and clumped together so I keep broadcasting on mumble when I meant to activate my shields lol.

Rolfsky

Oct 19, 2012
www.facebook.com
My experience with gaming over the years has developed into a desire to have as much programmable buttons as possible at my fingertips without giving up comfort.

Therefore, I have a Logitech G700 mouse and a Belkin n52te gaming pad for years now and I'm perfectly happy with it. I hardly have to use the keyboard with this setup and as I have a tendency to spoil drinks over it, I always use disposable cheapo keyboards.

SaintSugary

Veterans
Oct 29, 2012
Lol, I have that Belkin n52te too (AND Merc Stealth illuminated) but wrist settings for that n52te are just odd. Either keys are too far away from wrist support or too close.

Zunk

Veterans
Oct 2, 2012
I use a Logitech G9x Pro and really like it. Very smooth, accurate etc and like the adjustable weights. A big part of FPS goodness comes from having a decent mat too. I use a Razer Goliathus Alpha (it is roughly the size of a tennis court). The only drawback with this mat is it's attractiveness to one of my cats who wants to sit on it. Ironic that it's a mouse mat.... :huh:

phantium

Jan 12, 2013
Cool, I see most people have a different preference in what kind of mouse they use. :)
I don't know yet which mouse I will get adding to my collection.

Honestly I was mostly curious also to see what I should buy next.. :p
I simply cannot comfortably aim with the mice I got laying around.

I kinda grew up with mice shaped like the G700, so I might give that a try.
It looks a lot like the ergonomic mice that were originally shipped with the Wireless Keyboard/Mouse set back in the days.
That mouse is very much like the M500 from Logitech as well.

23955.png

Audiofly

BRTD Member
Aug 31, 2014
Logitech m305 ( the red one with the whispy shizzle)

Why would anybody need anything else :)

phantium

Jan 12, 2013
Hehe Audiofly :D very true, you don't need anything crazy.

Speaking of crazy.... decided to make a pic of most of my junk I have laying around.
Shocking really.... geez!

toomuchgear.jpg

Seriously... FML! lol

Rolfsky

Oct 19, 2012
www.facebook.com
[quote="SaintSugary" post=10417]Lol, I have that Belkin n52te too (AND Merc Stealth illuminated) but wrist settings for that n52te are just odd. Either keys are too far away from wrist support or too close.[/quote]
There are some options to physically configure the feel of that pad (I ditched the thumpstick) but everybody has different hands in the end. Mine are on the large side, which works perfectly for the more "clunky" Belkin and G700.

F

fbh

If your looking for a mouse pad then look no further than the BOOGIE PAD!!!!
It will pretty much cover majority of desk set-ups, and quite easily fits keyboards and mouse on it with plenty of space. :)

lesican

Oct 28, 2012
affinitydogtraining.co.uk
I use a Razer Naga (even though the side buttons are kinda redundant in planetside) and vary between claw and palm. Although my slouching seat position has left a nice black mark on the wall where my feet go :)